Unstoppable Domains, a company building blockchain domain names, today launched its Unstoppable Blockchain Browser to enable easy access to the decentralized web.
Typing in a .crypto domain and viewing a decentralized website works just like typing in a .com. Users can also participate in making a website more decentralized. With the click of a button, visitors store and share websites to a p2p network that no one person or company controls.
“We believe that a decentralized web is critical for protecting free speech around the world. The Unstoppable Blockchain Browser is the first browser that makes visiting decentralized websites as easy as a traditional .com website. All browsers should embrace the decentralized web.”
– Unstoppable Domains CEO Matthew Gould
Domain and hosting companies are frequently used to shut down unpopular political speech around the world. In Catalonia, Spain, the .cat registry, which was being used by pro-independence websites, was raided by Spanish police right before a vote.
Blockchain domains are different from regular domains in key ways:
- No Custodian – Domains are stored by the owner. No 3rd party can move or seize them.
- Payments – Domains can be used as a payment gateway for cryptocurrency payments. These are cheap, almost instant, and can be sent anywhere in the world.
- Censorship resistant websites – No company, government, or other groups can take a website unless they are the owner of it.
- No Renewals – Pay once and it’s yours (forever).