Coinberry, a Canadian-based, FINTRAC-registered digital currency platform, has begun negotiations with the City of Richmond Hill to provide a bitcoin payment processing solution for property tax payments.
While still in process, the new partnership will also have municipal staff report back on the feasibility of implementing Coinberry’s technology for additional payments of other City fees and charges by September 30th, 2019.
The announcement marks Coinberry’s second municipal partnership in less than six months.
“We believe that the demand for a digital currency payment option is only going to grow in the coming years, especially amongst millennials. Our Council was aware of Coinberry’s successful implementation of a digital currency payment service with the Town of Innisfil, and since there was no cost and no risk to the City of Richmond Hill to do the same, it made the decision that much easier for us.”
– Richmond Hill Deputy Mayor Joe Di Paola
Richmond Hill is just north of the City of Toronto and forms part of the Greater Toronto Area. The city is home to more than 200,000 residents.
“We are very happy to be entering into a partnership with our second Canadian Municipality. Leaders of government and enterprise organizations are realizing that, with the right partners, they can innovate with blockchain and digital currencies. We’re pleased to be working on additional innovative solutions with leading enterprise and municipal partners, and have a number of very exciting initiatives we will be announcing over the next several months.”
– Andrei Poliakov, Coinberry CEO and Co-Founder
- Coinberry is the only blockchain-based cryptocurrency platform to have secured partnerships and provide solutions to two Canadian municipalities.
- The City of Richmond Hill’s City Manager is authorized to enter into a contract with Coinberry upon conclusions of successful negotiations.
- The new partnership also gives the City of Richmond Hill the opportunity to leverage Coinberry’s technology for other blockchain and digital currency payments and services.