CME Group, the world’s leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace, today confirmed that options on its Bitcoin futures contracts will be available for trading starting January 13th, 2020.
“Since the launch of our Bitcoin futures nearly two years ago, clients have expressed a growing interest in options as another way to hedge and trade in these markets. We have worked closely with clients and the industry to establish a robust and increasingly liquid underlying futures market here at CME Group, and we believe Bitcoin options will now offer our customers greater precision and flexibility to manage their risk.”
– Tim McCourt, CME Group Global Head of Equity Index and Alternative Investment Products
Since their December 2017 launch, CME Group market participants have rapidly adopted Bitcoin futures.
Below are some highlights of how the CME Group Bitcoin market has grown:
- An average daily volume of 6,500+ contracts in 2019, equivalent to about 32,500 bitcoin
- 22 successful futures expiration settlements since launch
- 3,500+ individual accounts trading
- 47% of the trading volume is from outside the U.S.