Civic, a blockchain identity-verification technology company has announced a new name for its decentralized identity ecosystem – Identity.com.
The new domain at Identity.com aims to be a decentralized platform that will open up access to on-demand, secure identity verification. Identity.com is designed to connect users, requesters, and validators around the world to enable reusable identity verification, powered by Civic tokens (CVCs).
The ecosystem, to be fully live in early August, will enable individuals, companies, and other entities to interact easily and safely in the digital world.
Further announced, Identity.com code will be open sourced in Q4. Open-sourcing Identity.com is something Civic has always considered, and in response to community enthusiasm for a more open platform, the SDK will be made available for all developers.
The Civic team said:
“With our revolutionary token behavior model design, Identity.com represents a completely new approach to managing a decentralized community. In March, we processed the first CVC-powered Know Your Customer (KYC) transactions, marking the first exchange of CVCs for identity verification services. Now, we are preparing to expand access to decentralized identity verification services. Identity.com is a big step in our journey to provide every person with a digital identity that they can use to interact privately and securely with the world.”
Civic’s long-term vision is a decentralized identity ecosystem that eliminates the costs and inefficiencies of identity verification while improving security and privacy, creating a best-in-class experience for all ecosystem participants.
Key Civic Roadmap Updates
Civic also gave a few updates to its Roadmap that will ensure a high-level user experience for ecosystem participants. Civic’s Roadmap updates:
- Enhance security capabilities (Q2 2018): Focused on enhanced security capabilities, including a liveness test, to ensure more safety and security across its digital identity platform.
- Lower entry barriers (Q3 2018): In the upcoming months, will introduce integrations enabling partners to make transactions using fiat currency, which will be exchanged for CVC in real-time.
- Open source Identity.com (Q3, Q4 2018): Starting in Q3, will make the Identity.com SDK available for select identity requesters and identity validators. In Q4, will open-source Identity.com code, and the SDK will be widely available, giving organizations the opportunity to participate in the way that makes the most sense for them.
- Grow the ecosystem (Q1 2019): Once Identity.com is rolled out, will focus on significantly scaling the ecosystem, and expanding access to on-demand, secure identity verification by onboarding requesters and validators worldwide.
- Build towards full decentralization (Q2 2019) Moving through 2019, plans for all participants to be able to transact in CVC or fiat on an open platform and to independently access identity verification services in the decentralized marketplace.